Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Do I Really? - "In Other Words" Tuesday

"In Other Words" Tuesday


I wrote this poem a while back, and in my heart I can imagine it becoming a song. It's about being honest with ourselves before God.


Do I Really?


I sing of bowing down, and I call Him my King,
I pray to the Lord, “Thy Kingdom come,”
But do I really hear the humble words that I sing?
Or has my heart grown distant and numb?

Do I really yearn to see His Will being done
On Earth as it is in His Heaven?
To take His yoke, to bear my cross, to die like the Son
To search out and purge sinful leaven?

Before His just commands do my knees truly bend?
Do I mold my will to match His word?
For Jesus will I leave my treasures, family, and friends
Stake all on the promises I’ve heard?

How can I pretend to want His kingdom to reign
If I won’t let Him rule within me?
Can I refuse His righteous call, His lordship disdain
Then say that I want Him to win me?

I sing of bowing down, and I call Him my King,
I pray to the Lord, “Thy Kingdom come,”
But do I really hear the humble words that I sing?
Or has my heart grown distant and numb?


We can't know our own hearts, according to Jer. 17:9. And Ps. 36:2 tells us, "For in his own eyes he flatters himself too much to detect or hate his sin" (NIV). And yet we are commanded to examine ourselves (2 Co. 13:5), and King David sets an example by asking God to examine him and point out where he needs to repent (Ps. 139:23-24).

What if we don't like what we see?

The humble heart will repent and seek a closer walk with God. But the proud heart will make excuses for itself and will put on an act for others. Sadly, when it does so, it pushes God even further away.

For God resists the proud, and gives grace to the humble (James 4:6).

The key to humbly loving others, instead of using them to stroke our own egos, is to altogether abandon the search for self-esteem, and to focus on growing our God-esteem.

Unless, of course, we really believe that true joy, happiness, and life are to be found in ourselves more than in God...

May God keep us from believing such lies, and help us find our lives in Him!

----------------------------

Today's "In Other Words" Tuesday is being hosted by Lynette Kraft. Be sure to drop by her blog for links to more insights based on today's quote.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Betsy,
Thank you for sharing your insight on this quote.

Your poem was lovely. Yes, it would make a nice song.

Thank you for the inspiration this morning. I enjoyed being here.
Lynnette

Unknown said...

Loved the poem. Humility and truth often go hand in hand, don't they?!

Miriam Pauline said...

Bless you for sharing.

lori said...

Wow....beautiful poem...

peace on the journey!
lori

Laurie Ann said...

Beautiful poem, beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

Lovely poem, thank you, and I loved the rest of your post. I'll be back to your blog for sure. :)

Patricia said...

Seems like several of us posting today have found our inspiration in the book of James. What a blessing when believers' hearts beat to the same tune.

I love your poem. You definitely have a gift for honest introspection. Your words are so true that they reach into other hearts.

Thank you for sharing today.

Happy Tuesday!

Karen said...

That was a great poem, thanks for sharing it today along with your other thoughts.

LauraLee Shaw said...

Your poem is magnificent, but this really stood out to me too:
"The key to humbly loving others, instead of using them to stroke our own egos, is to altogether abandon the search for self-esteem, and to focus on growing our God-esteem."

Wowzer!

Denise said...

I enjoyed this, bless you.

Nutmeg said...

Beautiful poem! Thanks for sharing.
Amy

Unknown said...

What a lovely song and message. Thanks!

AVA

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin