Thursday, January 15, 2009

Current Events: The Pre-Inaugural Prayer

This week I've decided to participate in the Current Events Wrap-Up Meme, which unites Christian bloggers in discussing, as you probably guessed, current events. Now, I'm not typically a "Current events" type of blogger, but something I read on the Christian Worldview Times really stuck in my throat. I quote from that article:Inauguration of President-Elect ObamaImage by ajagendorf25 via Flickr
President-elect Obama has asked V. Gene Robinson, the openly gay Episcopal bishop of New Hampshire, to deliver the invocation at a pre-inaugural event this Sunday on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.

Bishop Robinson said he had been reading inaugural prayers through history and was "horrified" at how "specifically and aggressively Christian they were." He states, "I am very clear that this will not be a Christian prayer, and I won't be quoting Scripture. The texts I hold as sacred are not sacred texts for all Americans, and I want all people to feel that this is their prayer."

Robinson said he might address the prayer to "the god of our many understandings," language that he said he learned from the 12-Step program he attended for his alcohol addiction.
And, once again, I find myself grieving for our once-great nation.

Remember that wonderful audio sermon I linked to yesterday? In it, Paul Washer points out that most people are not victims of false preachers/teachers. The word "victim" implies passivity and innocence. No, the Bible doesn't say that in the last days, people would love to have sound doctrine, but they simply can't find anyone to teach them truth. Instead it says that people will not endure sound doctrine, and will "heap up for themselves teachers" who will tell them the lies they want to hear (2 Tim 4:3).

The reason we have so many false gospels, so many false prophets, so many false teachers is because people will not endure the truth. There may be some "victims" of false teachers, but most who flock after the wrong shepherds are getting exactly what they want. And when people hate and reject the One True God long enough, He pronounces on them a frightening judgment; namely, He abandons them to their idolatry (Eze. 20:39), and lets them destroy themselves with it (Rom. 1:28, best read in its entire context).

And so, in this once-Christian nation, we have the Pre-inaugural prayer given by someone who is "horrified" by the Christianity in his predecessors' prayers.

Horrified by the Christianity!

On the 20th, I hope Christians everywhere will join in fasting (if possible) and praying for our lost nation. As I've said before, our new President isn't the problem. This Bishop isn't the problem. The problem is the corrupt, godless nation who wants to be led by such men.

God have mercy on us!

------------------------
This week's Current Events Wrap-Up Meme is being hosted by Julie at The Surrendered Scribe. Drop by there for links to other entries based on today's news.

11 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

My goodness; I can't say that I'm surprised by his choice. Why would anyone be surprised?

You're so right about people surrounding their lives with people who tell them what they want to hear...not the truth.

Makes me very sad and sick all at the same time. I will be praying.

peace~elaine

Sharlyn Guthrie said...

Yes, that's a very sad statement! As you said, however, it is consistent with what much of our nation has come to accept and desire. As Christians we all need to be vigilant and expanding our prayer lives so that we aren't deceived as well.

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

"For a time is coming when they will not tolerate wholesome instruction, but, wanting to have their ears tickled, they will find a multitude of teachers to ..."
II Timothy 4:3
This just makes me sick and angry!
. . .and it should drive me to my knees!
What has become of our nation???!!

ARRHGG!!!!!!!

Karin said...

You are so right! Thanks for all the links - will go and check them out.

LauraLee Shaw said...

Now this is just sad. I have been very busy and haven't been able to watch the news much. Wow. So sad. The only place I'm going to solve the bitter taste that is in my mouth is on my knees in prayer. So thankful we have the Lord, aren't you? Can you imagine having a man to put your hope in? Oh my. I'll zip it now. Thanks so much for this info. I really enjoy reading this meme, cuz I learn a TON from excellent writers.

Julie Arduini said...

Awesome, awesome, dead on post. Reminds me of what I believe Anne Graham Lotz said after 9/11---we are the ones that pushed God out of every place in America, how dare we ask where was He? Good thought to ponder.

I just signed up for not just praying for the president, but also praying throughout inauguration Eve. They do a good job covering all aspects of government to pray for.

Thanks again for participating, this was great!

Tami said...

I, too, am saddened by the direction our country is going, but I don't find it unexpected. Establishing religious freedom in the first place opened the door for this at our country's inception. Unfortunately I think we will follow the patterns of God's people in generations past. His judgment has already come down on us and will continue to.

Jan said...

He is "horrified" that inaugural prayers in the past were Christian!
I would have supposed a "Bishop" would have considered himself a Christian! Just "Who" will he be praying to??? I am horrified! Not surprised, unfortunately!
America as I knew it ( I am 60) is gone!
This past election was a choice between good and evil! ( I am not saying that McCain himself is good) America choose evil...and God has seemingly abandoned us to our folly!

Unknown said...

My heart is breaking for this nation, but not surprised.

Unknown said...

My heart is breaking, although not surprised.

Sharlyn Guthrie said...

I remembered this post and just had to return to say that I was VERY encouraged by Rick Warren's invocation during the actual inauguration. It brought me to tears. Excellent choice there!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin