Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Burden-Bearer

Hannah Whitall Smith

Image via Wikipedia

 

 

Hannah Whitall Smith (1832-1911)writes in

The Christian’s Secret of a Happy Life:

 

 

 

Most Christians are like a man who was toiling along the road, bending under a heavy burden, when a wagon overtook him, and the driver kindly offered to help him on his journey. He joyfully accepted the offer, but when seated, continued to bend beneath his burden, which he still kept on his shoulders.

"Why do you not lay down your burden?" asked the kind-hearted driver.

"Oh!" replied the man, "I feel that it is almost too much to ask you to carry me, and I could not think of letting you carry my burden too."

And so Christians, who have given themselves into the care and keeping of the Lord Jesus, still continue to bend beneath the weight of their burden, and often go weary and heavy-laden throughout the whole length of their journey.

Since God carries me, He carries my burdens, too.  I may still feel the weight on my shoulders, but underneath are the everlasting arms (Deut. 33:27).

The question is, what do I do with the weight on my shoulders if I still feel it?

It’s been a while since I read The Christian’s Secret, so perhaps I need to read it again.  But it’s certainly too late to do that tonight, and I would like to throw this open and get some insights from all of you.  Not that I’m feeling particularly burdened by anything tonight (I’m not), but I often DO carry around burdens that I need to entrust more fully to His care.

What do you do in such cases?  Let’s get some good discussion going here!

(You can read The Christian’s Secret of a Happy Life online for FREE here!)

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Sherri Ward said...

Hi Betsy, Just a thought or two - I think the world sometimes - or often - "guilts us" into carrying burdens we ought not bear. The weight of the world is too heavy, better to lay it down and be thankful that He already took the weight of the world through the cross.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin